GWhobby.net

Login met gebruikersnaam, wachtwoord en sessielengte
Geavanceerd zoeken  

Nieuws:

GWHobby zoekt schrijvers voor de nieuwe Main Site. Lees alles in het subforum "Algemeen".

Pagina's: [1]

Auteur Topic: PC Roleplaying game of epic grandeur: Pathfinder: Kingmaker  (gelezen 787 keer)

Pellegrim

• Waaaargh
PC Roleplaying game of epic grandeur: Pathfinder: Kingmaker
« Gepost op: januari 21, 2019, 07:57:16 pm »

How do I say this ... I have been an avid fan of Baldur's Gate I and II, and found the games thereafter less and less interesting, mainly due to the lack of story lines. And the years after the genre kind of disappeared. Game makers told themselves that the classic isometric was an outdated concept and viewpoints changed to "flexible from first person to iso-on-all-angles. Like the kids that wanted all candies from the shop. Worked terrible and was disastrous for immersive game-play.

I think I bought and tried 10 to 15 of the big titles in recent years, and they all disappointed greatly. The games generally had no story line consequence, were full on plot-holes and/or were very inconsistent. It's like people did not care about a well-structured story anymore, an any story at all. So in my eyes the amazing and potent, classic turn-based, ISO-view, D&D based genre was gone and wouldn't return. I and blamed the current game design philosophy (or lack thereof), that tries to jam as many effect and novelties in a game and think that that is what makes a good game. I closed the chapter and let my newly acquired PC gather dust (or play Spotify, rather).

Of course I kept an eye out on forums, and followed rumors, cause you never know right. Then Beamdog touched-up Baldur’s Gate and reintroduced them. And made a few modules, that were so hollow and bad that I wish they wouldn’t. And then rumors of a worthy follow-up appeared, Pillars of Eternity. Tried it. In short, it’s a good game, but it lacks an immersive story that it tied to the game, and thus it does not offer the same rewarding character-development-tied-to-a-good-story. And then I got stuck in a cavern that felt too much like a dungeon crawlers, and I was unable to beat a room, time-after-time, and It was unclear if I wasn’t supposed to be in that place at that level, also mainly cause the story-line wasn’t there to confirm or deny this. So I stopped play, Pillars did not tick the box. It didn’t contain a creafully designed story in combination with game development. The came Divine Divinity: Original Sin. It was actually good on the starting story, nice surprise. But. Then I get to a dungeon (where you are supposed to be), and I can in now way beat an enemy (or set off enemies) there. So I googled around, I basically found that you need to set your characters up in a terribly specific way so they synergies, and do exponentially increased damage. That a game flaw right there, lost interest, quit playing. To bad.

Then I sat in the car with two buddies going to an event, and I told the story above bout me looking for that new fun game to play, and one said “seems like you are talking about Pathfinder: Kingmaker”. And my other buddy confirmed. I could not believed them, cause I still checked the interwebs regularly. But I figured, why not, let’s download it. Started out, and immediately thought “hey, this feels good”. Then I found that the mechanics are basically old skool D&D (I thought Pathfinder had a very different system), which was like coming home. With a lot of new builds and rules, which keeps it fresh.

Played the introduction chapter, and literally all my synapses were fire up red hot. Om my, was this the actual game I was looking for for roughly 20 years? It very well could be .. dang…. The camera view felt great, the combat system felt great, the story line was very-very solid, the effort-reward ratio was solid (can’t express how important this is for a game). I just started the 2nd chapter of 8 in total and I have to ration myself to the PC for two reasons: if I don’t I lose my family/job and the amazing experience will be over way to soon! This game has the depth, the loving care of a great story writer, a team that understands risk-reward that makes a game a great game. It obviously had a very solid playtesting phase, and provide on screen hints before difficult combat, to prevent game-breaking situations. What can I say, one of the things that makes it right is that it is so well balanced.

Then I found our Chris Avellone wrote for it! One of the creators of Baldurs Gate; and it all adds up. And it’s not from a huge huge studio, so it didn’t have editors ramming it into a boring mainstream format. It’s a Russian-German made game, from what I understand. All I can say finally is: thanks people who made this game, you revived PC gaming for me and I am looking forward to many many more hours of Kingmaker! This game rocks, it offers so many great options and experience, the story is amazing, the map system is great, and it is made with so much care. It is the new Baldurs Gate, and even overtakes it!
« Laatste verandering: januari 23, 2019, 10:30:16 am door Pellegrim »

Inquisitor Constantine

• Administrator
  • Like a whisper...
Re: PC Roleplaying game of epic grandeur: Pathfinder: Kingmaker
« Reactie #1 Gepost op: januari 23, 2019, 09:36:17 am »

Hey Pellegrim, tof dat je hier zo enthousiast post!

Maar een klein verzoekje: als je zo'n lap tekst post, druk aub een keer op enter voor een witregel tussendoor voor een nieuwe alinea, dat leest veel prettiger.  :)
Yeah, what I've felt, what I've known
Sick and tired, I stand alone
Could you be there
'Cause I'm the one who waits for you
Or are you unforgiven too?

Pellegrim

• Waaaargh
« Reactie #2 Gepost op: januari 23, 2019, 10:30:45 am »

done

Inquisitor Constantine

• Administrator
  • Like a whisper...
« Reactie #3 Gepost op: januari 23, 2019, 11:31:47 am »

Hm... Wat maakt dit spel nu echt beter dan bijv. The Witcher of Kingdome Come: Deliverance?
Could you be there

Pellegrim

• Waaaargh
« Reactie #4 Gepost op: januari 23, 2019, 03:36:23 pm »

Hm... Wat maakt dit spel nu echt beter dan bijv. The Witcher of Kingdome Come: Deliverance?

Ik zie niet veel overeenkomsten? Waarom zouden ze vergelijkbaar zijn?

Inquisitor Constantine

• Administrator
  • Like a whisper...
« Reactie #5 Gepost op: januari 23, 2019, 06:23:15 pm »

Je hebt het over een goed verhaal en character-ontwikkeling, dat zie je sowieso bij The Witcher ook. En dan heb je nog Dragon Age: Origins, ook een duidelijke karakter ontwikkeling.

Citaat
I think I bought and tried 10 to 15 of the big titles in recent years

Ik neem dan toch aan dat je de genoemde spellen geprobeerd hebt. Wat onderscheidt Kingmaker nu echt van deze?
Could you be there

Pellegrim

• Waaaargh
« Reactie #6 Gepost op: januari 23, 2019, 10:14:32 pm »

Als ik dat in een kleine 4.000 tekens niet duidelijk kan uitleggen, lukt het helemaal niet!

Pagina's: [1]